Saturday 4 July 2009

Arrival ...

The first three days of a 4 week period spent in Nepal this summer, were what Charles Dickens would have described as “The best of times, and the worst of times!” I arrived in Kathmandu in the evening of August 1st during a monsoon storm. As we weaved through the city traffic, the persistent, horizontal rain skimmed the roof-top of the vehicle and bounced onto the road below. There was also something unusual about the light – there was none. Not only had I managed to arrive in one of the heaviest downpours of the monsoon season, I had also arrived during one of Kathmandu’s notorious power cuts!

Climbing into bed that night, I wondered, literally, what I was doing there. After a journey of twelve years pushing doors, some very clear signs, and clear contacts to pursue from a trekking trip earlier this year, some might be surprised to hear me say this, but it was true!

As I stared at the shadows on the ceiling, I was aware of the fear that was rising inside. It was the kind of gut-wrenching fear that causes you to wretch, and your throat to seize up, and your mouth to dry out. I became distinctly aware in the space of about a minute, that I was 5000 miles away from home, and totally alone. I didn’t have to wake up in the morning and go to work, there was nothing else to busy myself with, and there was no red wine! (Though, given the circumstances, the latter was probably a good thing!) There was no international telephone line from where I was staying, and still no power! So, what does one do when they find themselves alone in Kathmandu in the dark, realising that they are going to be here for an extended period of time? From experience, I can tell you what they do, they panic, they panic big time!

After exhausting myself from panicking, there was nothing but silence, and in the silence, I realised there was God. I would like to say that this was a totally comforting experience, but if I said that, I would be lying through my teeth! The silence wasn’t comfortable, it was uneasy. It was uneasy because it had been a wee while since God and I had met on the terms where I had to completely trust Him. I had to give back the cuddly toy of control! Something had to be realigned though, and it seemed that being some 5000 miles away was part of it, as opposed to being at home living out my safe, organised life!

No comments:

Post a Comment